Thursday 28 February 2013

For David, at 9.

The love of my life. You're 9 today.

So much I think of, so much I want to tell you.

Like how proud I am of you, and how much you mean to me.

And how I pray for you, and worry about how you see me.

Am I the best big sister you could have? Because I try to be. And everything I do, my love, you inspire me.

Will you adapt to a changing world, will your life be beautiful? As much as it is in my power to, it will be.

Do you worry about anything? You shouldn't. You've got more arms supporting you than a crowd-surfing celebrity.

And so many people are preoccupied with your happiness, I don't know how your life could turn out to be anything less than awesome.

But God give you life, more nine years like these, more beauty, more growth, continuous peace.

And God give us life, that we may see you grow into the wonderful young man we know you will be.

I could write at this all day, but I've got to put the rest aside to help you celebrate.

And one day, you will be old enough to understand that people get emo and write things like this, but right now...

Baby, just enjoy your play.

No comments:

Post a Comment